Welcome!

Hello! Welcome to my blog, where I'll be posting on all things related to computers.

Currently, I'm working on my Computer Build Series.

Please Take a look!

Monday, January 25, 2010

Computer Build Part 2b: Motherboard

Now, for a CPU to work, it needs to be put onto a motherboard. As previously mentioned, the i7 860 is compatible with the LGA 1156 socket, so I need to go with a motherboard that supports it.

There are many manufacturers that make motherboards, including Intel, Gigabyte, MSI, Biostar, etc. The one I chose, is the Asus P7P55D Pro. Asus' new P7P55D series has many boards, and each also has multiple competitors by the other previously mentioned companies.

There are a few things (besides the socket 1156) that I looked at. Most boards nowadays (ATX size, which is mainly standard for tower desktops) have many many slots for expansion. The P7P55D Pro has a few notable features, including 2 x PCIe 2.0 x16, 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots, 2 x PCI Express 2.0 x1, and 2 x PCI slots. Along with that, the Pro includings 4 memory slots, supporting 1600/1333/1066 speeds (and 2200). A very nice MemOK! button is added, which will do a memory test on bootup. Asus has also upgraded to a new sound system, this one for sub-professional level. If you're the type who likes to overclock, many nice built-in features for OCing are available. For more info, check out the board on Asus' site.

At $170, this board is a nicely priced board with adequate features for any build.

Part 2c

No comments:

Post a Comment