Welcome!

Hello! Welcome to my blog, where I'll be posting on all things related to computers.

Currently, I'm working on my Computer Build Series.

Please Take a look!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Computer Build Part 2f: Hard Drive

When it comes to storage, I thought of 2 things. One, amount of storage. Two, speed of writing. Currently we are in the mist of the growing popularity of faster, and more secure hard drives.  There's always the option of using RAID (either to split information across 2 disks for faster access, or mirrored to keep a backup [Yes there are more, just these are the most common]). One type that is becoming more popular are SSDs, which are very secure and survive accidents better, as there are no moving parts (Note:Make sure your case supports it if you are buying one). Another, is the super fast 10000rpm and the 15000rpm. Both these options are still very expensive though, so I choose not to go with it (I have an external drive for my more important information).

Again, my choices came down to 2 companies, Western Digital (which also has a really good series of 10000rpm VelociRaptor drives), and Seagate. I've worked with Western Digital with good results before, so I decided to go with them. They have 3 main series, Caviar Green, Caviar Blue, and Caviar Black. Green focuses on quietness and low-energy use, while Blue focuses on attracting the mainstream. Black is for maximum performace, with less vibration harm and dual processors. Since I decided against a faster 10000rpm drive, I went with Western Digital's Caviar Black 750GB.

Part 2g

No comments:

Post a Comment